This will be a very short post, last time when I applied CU for SharePoint 2010 was in June 2012 and I almost forgot what the procedure was. Of course every time there is a new error to keep you connected, I’ll get into this later.
Download SharePoint 2010 CU from here
Make sure you have a very good backup, don’t play!
Install the CU binaries to your server hosting Central Administration.
Install the CU binaries to the remaining servers in your farm.
In my case when the CU finished installing on the server hosting the Central Administration required a restart. I did the restart after all the other servers in the farm had the binaries installed.
Run the SharePoint Products 2010 Configuration Wizard on the server hosting the CA.
First problem was at this step, for whatever reason running this wizard in GUI did not work, I switched to running it from Power Shell.
Run the following command: PSCONFIG.EXE -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait -force
Run the same command on the remaining servers in the farm but only after you were successful on the server hosting the CA.
This is when I ran into the second problem. The first attempt to run psconfig on the second application server threw an error about
05/09/2013 18:33:52 12 WRN Unable to create a Service Connection Point in the current Active Directory domain. Verify that the SharePoint container exists in the current domain and that you have rights to write to it.
Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: The object LDAP://CN=Microsoft SharePoint Products,CN=System,DC=yourdomain,DC=com doesn’t exist in the directory.
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPServiceConnectionPoint.Ensure(String serviceBindingInformation)
This is when I did a restart of this server, but I’m not sure it helps, I do not think you should do it.
On my second attempt to run PSCONFIG on this server I received this error, and then again:
“Exception: Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPUpdatedConcurrencyException: An update conflict has occurred, and you must re-try this action. The object SPUpgradeSession Name=Upgrade-20110604-023550-824 was updated by Topgear\administrator, in the PSCONFIG (4272) process, on machine SharePoint2010. View the tracing log for more information about the conflict”
I used the information on this blog to reset the value of the “command-line-upgrade-running” property from Power Shell:
stsadm -o setproperty -pn command-line-upgrade-running -pv Yes
You need to reset this property in case an upgrade stopped responding and there is no upgrade running according to TechNet (see the example lower in the TechNet page) and then I went ahead with the PSCONFIG command from above.
Keep in mind it takes a long time to apply this cumulative update, I think I’ve spent about eight hours doing the upgrade on the staging and production farm, each with two application and two web servers.
If you still did not solve this, read the logs again, the answers are in there!